By competing in the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge, Elaine will raise vital funds for Alzheimer Scotland.
Alzheimer Scotland is Scotland’s leading voluntary organisation helping people with dementia, their carer’s and families. Some of the services they provide are day centres, home support, drop-in centres, support groups, one-on-one support, information and advice. They are committed to providing a high quality and free service which includes a helpline and user-friendly website. Elaine had used some of these services for herself.
Required Qualifications and Preparation
- RYA Yacht Master Ocean Theory certificate
- First Aid at Sea certificate
- RYA Basic Sea Survival
In preparation, Elaine has hand built a 17 foot Wherry as an “on the water” training boat, which is stored at the Sailing club on Loch Venachar, near Callander. Elaine also trains daily on the Concept rower that she has at home.
And Elaine will be:
- The second Scottish woman to attempt a solo Atlantic row
- Part of an elite few women to solo row, unsupported (no physical contact/passing supplies, on the water). The first, Roz Savage, took 103 days
- Attempting to be the fastest solo women across the Atlantic
- In her element!